PDA

View Full Version : My Story of PJK16 Build

Nexus1155
02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
What does it entail to build a K16 car

Since there is seemingly no information on this on anything on any forums but the Polish one that no one understands I guess I'll post what I had to go through here.

First and foremost, i realized this too late yet this was just a proof of concept build to see how everything works out. You need to get rods and build the engine 3.0L with 2.8 heads to get perfect use out of these turbos. There have been builds in Europe netting near 1000whp.

You know when you drive a car that has just too much power for its own good and you think, man this can't be healthy for the engine well it feels like that, maybe because it isn't tuned yet, but you can almost feel it on the brink of throwing something.

So I buy the turbos obviously used from a Porsche 996(most abundant of the K16s sold $400 for the pair), oil cooled only, with only around 30k on the clock. Nice turbos no shaft play spin freely, big honking things bigger if not comparable to GT28 turbos.

Bought the adapters from Tunetec/Turboart in Europe $300+(One adapter fit, with modifications of course, worst mistake ever, don't buy these adapters!) Maybe they were meant for another K16 turbo, but I was told they would work fine. The best thing to do is to strip the stock manifolds of its outer casing, weld on K16 flanges from 034 or just build new manifolds all together. New Ceramic 8 puck clutch was probably the most expensive part of this build.

Start to assemble and clock everything correctly to fit on the car/manifolds, the only line that will fit stock are the oil feed lines and the wastegate lines, so prepare to fab the oil returns and the boost pickup lines, not hard although took alot of test fitting and running around. Welding off the stock coolant lines and putting epoxy over them was easy, but even a welder on its lowest possible setting can burn a hole right through them with a quick pass. Brazing them was not an option.

Got everything hooked up, downpipes on the drivers side, everything looked mint, praise the lord, passenger side, here comes the headaches.

Needed to cut the manifold up, word of advice unless you stripe the whole outer sheething of the manifold, cut after the neck. Mocked it up to match the other turbo, thought i had precision on this one, nope. Now bear in mind I am not a master fabricator yet i did pickup some skills from this whole build that will come in handy when i pull the engine again to fix everything so its a better looking setup/built engine.

Mocked up everything, downpipe, which i had to cut multiple times since it hit the back wall a bit, frame rail which i had to cut because the actuator was in the way, and subframe since there was no hoses available to fit that setup but i found the best one suited to make it work. I could have welded an elbow onto the compressor outlet, but i thought cast welding was shotty and would fail over time if not heat treated properly first and cooled down properly.

If you think something will fit into these cars, it won't, if it looks good, and you thought you calculated it well, you didn't. It would have been wise to check clearances and make a little jig that i could just get an idea for spacing down there it would have been better, which i should have done.

Another thing, these turbos are goofy with the wastegate setup. Either way you cut it, it will be reversed from any other kit out there. External would have been the way to go, but i ended up doing some crazy shit and welding the wastegate straight up and tested it to make sure it actuated and closed properly. Also, these turbos require all new M8x1.25 hardware on most of the turbo so a trip to fastenal for some hardware was needed, props to them for selling me a box of 100 of everything and giving me a super killer deal, I don't understand why people go to Home Depot for stuff like this, you'll end up paying 3x more for something that isn't treated.

After all of that is said and done, primed turbos, checked for leaks, started the car up loud as piss. Removed EGT sensors so i had to tune those out so I can make boost correctly without the ECU freaking out like it always does with every little thing. Let it warm up a bit, tested the car, revved the engine after a long sitting period, sounded healthy when revving despite the extreme loudness from the open dumps. Get into 2nd gear and jump on it a bit, get into boost and you can slowly feel it make you sink into the seat, hit 10psi then had to stop or i wouldve hit the wall due to lack of brakes from sitting there. Atleast my buddy heard the backfire from atleast 2 city blocks away :P

After I get the exhaust on I am going to log it and tune and run these guys hot since i can't push 36psi from it, i can get use out of them in a decent manner. We'll see where it goes from here. It felt nice even at 10psi, to drive it after the build has been going, i wish i could've bought a second engine to begin with and do things better. But i guess live and learn is how it goes for everybody.

I will have more videos to come, but most of this build 90% was done in my backyard before i moved into the garage, the only thing at the garage was just transplanting the engine back in and oil lines and etc. I am far from being rich, I paid off this 20k car in 3 years, I spent maybe $3000 on this whole build, I will prob try to calculate it later, but along with it came a ton of knowledge, headaches, and finally.... fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54Aw_R4fA g <---- apparently the swear filter didn't like the link even when it's hyperlinked and changed around too so remove the spacing on the g

Any questions/comments/flames are all welcomed. Tried to write this at work, its not perfect, when i get around to it and take the car out again after the exhaust job I'll shoot a better video. Thanks to all who gave me a hand with this build! :) Couldn't have done it without the motivation.

pearlwhite
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Pics? :)

veggiemonster
02-01-2010, 09:35 AM
nice. but link doesnt work

RolledMySTi
02-01-2010, 09:37 AM
The video link doesn't work and where are the pics?

Nexus1155
02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
I fixed link the swear filter nailed me on it, pics are to come when i snap some, im not very photogenic, but i have a few so no worries. Oh and i need to put CXRacing FMIC on too, forgot about that.

wdbdy2000s4
02-01-2010, 09:48 AM
I fixed link the swear filter nailed me on it, pics are to come when i snap some, im not very photogenic, but i have a few so no worries. Oh and i need to put CXRacing FMIC on too, forgot about that.

still not working...I'll try

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i54Aw_R4***)

edit: fail

Nexus1155
02-01-2010, 09:50 AM
hahah see i told you the link didn't work even with trying to trick it, but thanks to whoever moved it, i tried to post in the build section, but i guess it had to be sanctioned in

AK1RA07
02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Glad to see you followed through with it [:)]

awtst3.a6
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/Nexus1155#p/u

;)

S4 Dan
02-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Damn Nick, i remember talking about this with you years back.... you went through with it you crazy bastard! haha.... bet your car is still slow as balls! lol.... when did you do all of this?

AudiSportB5S4
02-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Nice man!!

I bought my VERY first thing for my S4 from you in like June of 2007, haha remember that ?! GIAC X Chip.... Look what you've done.

Let me know if you need anything Nick ;)

DxC
02-24-2010, 08:04 AM
it better have acceleration like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNViMdT996o

bombermon
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
That video didnt work.. I want to see some acceleration videos!

K24s next? MRC has 24s they are 5k with manifolds!

TweetsS4Estate
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM
yeah i dont get where your coming up with k16s making 1000whp because a 911 has a 3.6L and they remove the k16s and put k24s that are much bigger and only make 800whp before they put 20g comp wheels in the k24s

Nexus1155
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
check out some turboart/tunetec threads on the russian/polish forums, there were builds that made upwards of 1000 or not far from it.