PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Faulty Trunk Latch

jimrobbington
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
This is perhaps the easiest DIY I have ever done. It has been cold recently, like really cold, and apparently that is the favorite time for your trunk latch to choose to stop working properly. I heard this happens to a lot of people, and once it stops working 100% of the time, it is only down hill from there. No one wants to look like a loser in a parking lot slamming the trunk of their Audi! So here is goes.

Tools needed: Flathead, Phillips, 10mm socket wrench, and part #4F5-827-505-D. Thanks to illegitimus for the part number. This is the same part number from VW to Audi. I ordered it online from vwpartsoem.com for only $43.50, but shipping was $11. Still about $3 cheaper than the stealership. Shipping was fast, and I am happy with my purchase.

There are 2 Phillips screws and 8 clips:

One screw behind the plastic handle:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020333.jpg

The other screw behind the emergency handle:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020334.jpg

Just pull down on the emergency handle and it will pop out of it's shoulder:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020335.jpg

The 8 clips are roughly as shown:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020332.jpg

These are pretty tough clips, unlike the ones on the door panels, so just pull, it won't harm anything. I started from the bottom, and worked around to the top.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020336.jpg

For the emergency handle, pull the part closest to you down, and then towards you, there is a little tab on the other side, then twist it and shove it through the panel.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020350.jpg
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020349.jpg

Now you have the two 10mm nuts. Unscrew these, and pull the whole assembly straight down.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020337.jpg

Disconnect the electrical connection, this is the only place I needed a flathead to pry up the tabs.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020340.jpg

Now you have the two braided wires, similar to clutch, brake, and throttle wires on motorcycles. This part on each one, just pull down and it will snap out of place:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020342.jpg

Then slide the wire around, and pull the plug on the end of it out of the hole.

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo109/jimrobbington/trunk%20DIY/P1020346.jpg

Then redo everything backwards, and voila, your trunk will again latch. Sorry for so many pictures on a simple DIY, but I figured thorough is better if I am going through the trouble anyway. Also, sorry no dog boner in this one, it was so fast, they didn't even know I was gone!

Heavy Fluid
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Great DIY. What is the part number for a pair of nail clippers for that pinky nail?

TheHeggi
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Well I'll be...this is just what I needed! I was slamming my trunk over and over and over the other night leaving the gf's house and her neighbor came out asking if I was ok...in a suspicious tone...like I was up to no good...*sigh*

TheHeggi
12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Great DIY. What is the part number for a pair of nail clippers for that pinky nail?

DAMN!! I was thinking the same thing lol, but since it was such valuable info to me, I thought I'd let it slide this time....lulz

Keep that pimp hand strong, playa! [>_<]

jimrobbington
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Don't worry about my crack nail![>_<] How else am I supposed to pick my nose?

‹bermensch
12-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the post

ataylor
12-04-2009, 01:21 PM
nice! my trunk latch was being a bitch until the tire-shop that my car was at this weekend apparently fixed it without even telling me (sweet!)

if it returns, i'll be back to this thread for sure. thx +rep

ctk1
12-05-2009, 08:15 AM
GREAT WRITE UP AND PICS!
My trunk has been a pain in the ass, now i CAN FIX IT.
Thanks!

v_audi
12-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Great write up.

It always cracks me up the things that people notice in these photos. LOL. I guess I need to start being more observant.

TitanTeamRoper
12-05-2009, 09:08 PM
perfect thread, I the idiot in the parking lot slamming the trunk a 100 times, its even worse leaving for work at 3:00 am when is about 15 outside

Doctor
12-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Exactly the same issue for me. What a deja vu

Once it was cold it started not working...But this year, it stoped working at all...I tried fixing it but all I would do is close it one time out of ten with a lot of force..

So I bought a new one, and changed it as well....And as you I suppose, I noticed that it now closes with almost no effort...as it should...

a4dc89
12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
my trunk is broken too

Sanjman
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
what's up with the pinky nail????!!! LOL good write up though!

ataylor
12-07-2009, 07:43 AM
of course, I spoke too soon.. the latch problem is back.

Time to check out this DIY after work! thx again

jimrobbington
12-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Of course, T3wl! If you order the part today from the website I put, you will probably get it Thurs, unless you enjoy the dealership...

naiku
12-07-2009, 10:36 AM
What are the symptoms of your trunk latch going bad? Mine latches fine, but its always kind of bothered me about how loud / how much force is needed to latch it compared to the doors. Wondering if this will make it latch a lot smoother.

ataylor
12-07-2009, 10:54 AM
My trunk sometimes does not latch.. and (right now) when it does, the sensor in the car still *thinks* it's open, so my dash display shows the diagram of the car with the flashing trunk INSTEAD of my gas mileage remaining, etc (extremely annoying!)

anyone know how to turn off this "your trunk is open" notification, for now, untiL i can fix my trunk?

jimrobbington
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
What are the symptoms of your trunk latch going bad? Mine latches fine, but its always kind of bothered me about how loud / how much force is needed to latch it compared to the doors. Wondering if this will make it latch a lot smoother.

Your trunk may not latch at all some times. You should not have to slam the trunk at all. I did notice that when I replaced the latch, it takes almost no effort to latch it at all. When it is working properly, you should NEVER have to use force to close it. The weight of the trunk itself will latch it.

My trunk sometimes does not latch.. and (right now) when it does, the sensor in the car still *thinks* it's open, so my dash display shows the diagram of the car with the flashing trunk INSTEAD of my gas mileage remaining, etc (extremely annoying!)

anyone know how to turn off this "your trunk is open" notification, for now, untiL i can fix my trunk?

Mine did this once before I fixed it, and I hit a bump and it actually popped back open, so the computer is right, the latch mechanism is not totally engaged.

nferguson
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow...audizine sure does know when I have a problem because magically the exact thread I was looking for shows up on the top of the forum. My trunk has been like this for a week and everywhere I go people just stare at me as I slam my trunk about 20 times. lol

jimrobbington
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
That's why I did this. It was such a popular problem, but no info. You are welcome Audizine!

naiku
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Your trunk may not latch at all some times. You should not have to slam the trunk at all. I did notice that when I replaced the latch, it takes almost no effort to latch it at all. When it is working properly, you should NEVER have to use force to close it. The weight of the trunk itself will latch it.

I think mine might just be noisy then, its an Avant, but I can usually pull the trunk down some then let it fall and it latches, just pretty noisy and cheap sounding when it does.

ataylor
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
yikes.. a bump opened yours up? that could be bad for me :-x thx for the heads-up

jimrobbington
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I did happen to be on a dirt road, so it was pretty bumpy, but still, be careful.

sider1681
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
This started happening to me last year when it started to get cold, but it never really became a huge problem until this year. Now the damn thing just won't shut; but I can take my key to the latch and it appears to latch.

I should have gotten this fixed under Audi Care [headbang] too bad it expired in July. c'est la vie !

What exactly causes this issue [confused]

sider1681
12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Forgot to add, sometimes the trunk does latch, but the sensor doesn't see it as latch so when I lock my car, the anti-theft 'beep' doesn't appear to engage since it thinks the trunk is open... grrr... luckily it's parked in garage and not on the street.

jimrobbington
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Probably just poorly made. I bet there's a plastic part inside that wears down or something. The new one looked a little different, so it might be upgraded...

Doctor
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Probably just poorly made. I bet there's a plastic part inside that wears down or something. The new one looked a little different, so it might be upgraded...

Because I tried to fix the broken one, just for fun, or in case it actually worked, I found there are some plastic parts, that are replaced with other in the new part. There have been 4 updates in the part number if u see in ETKA...So go figure what problems there were....

cjnesher
12-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Mine just went![headbang]

when my neighbor asked why I was "slamming" my trunk.
I told him my wife keeps trying to get out!!

Thanks for the DIY!! and nice pinky....

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/cjnesher_2009/214156scareface.jpg

mundusrector
12-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks...you're the man.

BTW..that pinky nail is a "Blunt" nail. LOL

Sal_B7
12-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Cool stuff Jimmy! Will come to this if it ever goes out on me!

srabits
01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Great job. The wife was getting really mad fighting the trunk. Now I am off the hook on the grocery runs.

jimrobbington
01-06-2010, 07:00 AM
glad I could help

audifan22
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the DIY i can't believe there isnt a recall or TSB or something, it just happened to me today down in Florida, ridiculous.

greensto
01-10-2010, 07:20 AM

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx103/cjnesher_2009/214156scareface.jpg

HEHE! Mine stopped working too for the first time in Florida. It happened a few times in Colorado, but I was hoping with the warmer weather it would stop when I came back to Florida. It has... until the freak arctic front we've had here lately. I hope when the temp goes back up it will be fine. I don't really want to spend $50 when I hardly use my trunk. Spent too much money on my car over winter already lol

RJMars
01-10-2010, 04:10 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7LS4WnHcgiw/RbsGoi1vbrI/AAAAAAAAAoY/2HcoZbJeFfM/s320/dr+evil.JPG

gods_kitchen
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
anyone got the trunk latch part # for avant? mine just went over the weekend [headbang]

jimrobbington
01-13-2010, 07:12 AM
anyone got the trunk latch part # for avant? mine just went over the weekend [headbang]

I just looked on genuineaudiparts.com, and the avant is not even an option when doing a search. Maybe same part?

BoostedA4tQ
01-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the DIY...just did it and it took me no more than 15 minutes from start to finish to swap it out.

Now my trunk closes smooth again and no more embarrassing trunk slamming.

I have opened and closed the truck today over 30 times just enjoying the comfort of being able to lock my trunk without slamming it over and over until it decided to lock.

ataylor
11-17-2010, 12:59 PM
nice! my trunk latch was being a bitch until the tire-shop that my car was at this weekend apparently fixed it without even telling me (sweet!)

if it returns, i'll be back to this thread for sure. thx +rep

welp, almost a year later.. I'm back.

I swear the car uses the temp.sensor to give you shit. Dealer wants $300 for a new latch + labor, fuck that.

With the temps dropping, I'm sure this thread is about to be relevant again :)

Tanner
09-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Bumping up an old thread. After having the new latch since April of this year, finally got this done this yesterday as the weather was nice. It was either going to get done or never get done then I'd be cursing at the trunk as it will refuse to close again this winter. Less than 30 minutes to do, albeit one of the clips on the trunk liner ripped off partially so had to glue that one back on.

So if you cursed at your trunk lid while everybody is staring at you in the parking lot last winter, fix it yourself while you can before winter comes along.

ColumbusAudiA4
10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the nice write up. Took me about 15-20 mins to do completely. Was very simple and i had to do it today after taking about 20 times to get trunk to latch last night since temp was down to 30 degrees F. Thanks again. Cheap fix that will relieve a lot of frustration, Lol :)

jimrobbington
10-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the nice write up. Took me about 15-20 mins to do completely. Was very simple and i had to do it today after taking about 20 times to get trunk to latch last night since temp was down to 30 degrees F. Thanks again. Cheap fix that will relieve a lot of frustration, Lol :)

Glad it helped someone again! It's just one of those things that randomly goes bad on our cars.

JR

jayM
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
I managed to get by the past two winters by using WD40 but this time i needed to replace the latch. Your DIY is perfect!

jimrobbington
01-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Yep, it's an inevitability. Glad this diy helped another member!

JR

Hungrypilot
01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
I've got the part and the tools ready... I'm just waiting for it to at least get above freezing outside so I can replace the stupid thing...

jimrobbington
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Just let the engine run so the exhaust warms you up!
JR

Hungrypilot
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Just let the engine run so the exhaust warms you up!
JR

A break in the snowy weather today brought us a 55 degree day! Did your DIY in the parking lot at work in 10 minutes. Awesome wright-up, thanks again, NO MORE TRUNK SLAMMING! :):):):):):):)

BoSNiaN
01-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for this...I was hoping I wasn't the only one experiencing this and the search function actually found this before I was gonna open a topic about it in the B7 A4 section.

Only an issue in the winter for me, and some heat + WD seems to help for a week before the cold locks it up again...I just won't use my trunk this winter and I'll replace it in the spring.

Thanks for the write up JR! [:D]

Dirtyylicous
11-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm having the trunk problem now, after I get it to close the dis is still saying my trunk is open. I'm going to do the DIY, has anybody had the DIY fix the issue with the dis saying it open?

Fauch_x@hotmail
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the DYI...worked like a charm!

I unfortunately couldn't deal with it anymore and got part at the dealership for $100...but i'm sure if I were to get it from that website for $40 it would be almost double that to have it delivered to me in canada...having to pay duty on it and all.

jimrobbington
12-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Glad it helped. It's that time of year again. The cold brings out the worst in the trunk latch

Sent from my porcelain throne.

NewB7
12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
F***! I had to slam my trunk like 20 times last night before it finally stayed shut. [mad] Time for a new latch!

jimrobbington
12-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep, the cold will do that. Lol

pyron
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Glad it helped. It's that time of year again. The cold brings out the worst in the trunk latch

This is the second time this week a DIY from Audizine helped me fix a problem with my B7. Yesterday it was the D/S front window regulator (2 coronas each for 2 guys for 2 hours), today it's the trunk latch.

Love it. Thanks!

Ruma09
05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Great write up. But what do I do if my trunk is close so I can't get to the lash?