PDA

View Full Version : Hi Flow Cat DPs for 3.0 from labree - interest?

Ill 3.0
09-04-2009, 01:23 PM
The cats on the 3.0 are notorious for going out, and with more of us approaching or passing the 80k mile federal warranty replacement period, might as well find a cheaper than OEM alternative.

So I called Labree since they now offer down pipes for the 3.0 in either smog legal or high flow cat version. They make their own cats and I've only read of positive reviews from people with Labree stuff. The high flow cats are a 400 cell cat and are listed at 1000/pair. They would be willing to do a group buy so show me who is interested and I'll see what they can do.

koolade9
09-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Are they doing just the cats? or a cat+dp combo? I'd be interested in the latter, as I really don't have to replace my cats yet...but I wouldn't mind swapping it all at once. [up]

Can we talk LeBree, or maybe JHM into making headers as well???

Ill 3.0
09-04-2009, 03:53 PM
for a pair of downpipes with hi flow cats welded in. 1000 or better would be a great price.

now headers, few things. There are some available from Supersprint (or were) for the 2.8L but they will bolt on. They are also very pricey. I doubt JHM would spend the time to make them for the 3.0. Probably not enough interest. I personally don't want them, since I think I'd gain too much power over what the stock motor with s/c could handle. So they're probably only a good option for stock motor with no plans to s/c, or those with an s/c and built motor.

I'd love some Labree pipes, and will likely buy some anyway. But I can wait it out for a bit to see if we can get more interest and lower price.

koolade9
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
count me in for the dp/cat combo [up]

as for the headers, last I checked, Steve bought the last 6 sets and they've all been sold. I'm not even sure where I'd even look to get a set... As long as you're not increasing the cylinder temp or pressure during the compression or ignition stroke, you shouldn't need to worry about over-working the motor...headers will certainly help speed up the motor and in theory, cool it down due to less resistance...I say you go for it [wrench]

Smitty2A4
09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I would likely be down depending on when this GB was to happen and the price as I am still recovering from the purchase of Vogtland coilovers and I need my TB changed too. I would prob just want the Smog Legal ones only as they will prob be enough for an N/A 3.0 and my cats “may” be going out as my car sometimes throws P0421 and P0431 and this would certainly beat paying 2k for the stock ones. As much as I would love a DPs and test pipes I again think it is overkill for a N/A motor and the gains would not be worth the price, not to mention I have to pass emissions in MA and had a bitch of a time as it is with those codes being thrown.

nezach
09-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I am interested too. Depending on the price of course.

Ill 3.0
09-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Alright good deal. I call again next week.

beemercer
09-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm just curious as to where the cat placement is on the 3.0's is? Do you guys have the same setup as the B6/B7 S4 with the pre-cat located close to the motor and then the primary cat lower down in pipe in each of the two pipes (ie 4 catalytic converters total)?

android3000
09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm just curious as to where the cat placement is on the 3.0's is? Do you guys have the same setup as the B6/B7 S4 with the pre-cat located close to the motor and then the primary cat lower down in pipe in each of the two pipes (ie 4 catalytic converters total)?

No, there's only one cat per bank and it's right at the top of the dp where it connects to the exhaust manifold

beemercer
09-06-2009, 03:12 AM
No, there's only one cat per bank and it's right at the top of the dp where it connects to the exhaust manifold

Thanks man. Any idea if LaBree relocates the catalytic converter further down the pipe? That should definitely help power production by clearing out heat trapped by the cat, more timing.

Ill 3.0
09-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I can ask about cat relocating, not sure if that would be difficult due to the bends or not.

So we have 2 very interested and 2 maybe interested. Anyone else? I'd probably like to get a few more people before contacting them again about price.

sandspeed
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I might be interested. I have to get one cat replaced right now, and I'm thinking this would be an easy DIY if they are already in DPs. I might not be able to pick them up for a few weeks though. Gotta get the clutch and flywheel fixed first.

sandspeed
09-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Ok, you can call me very interested now.

jdigga99
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
These threads always just die off like this.......was there ever anything confirmed?

JEENYUS
09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
i know that my cats are going out. i would like an alternative to the OEM replacement piece of shit that is offered. Labree makes great product that has an exhaust note tuned to the car itself.