PDA

View Full Version : whirling tire noise, gets louder as I increase speed.

quattro_silver
05-28-2009, 06:22 AM
I ordered a set of O.Z. Ultraleggeras with Kuhmo MX tires last year and have them on my S4. They have only a cpl thousand miles on them. I had them mounted/balanced at NTB last summer. After putting them on a couple days ago I have a very loud noise that sounds like a whirling sound. Almost like I am driving through a wind tunnel but not that loud. The noise sounds like it's from the tires. It gets louder the faster I go and it doesn't matter if I am turning. My question is there anything obvious I should look for? Doesn't seem to be a bearing noise and I just had the rear wheel bearings replaced. Any ideas?

qb4.2
05-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Bump, subscribed, same here. Except I mounted new VMR rims on summer used Pirelli's that were mounted on stock wheels before and I'm getting the same type of sound.

I'm almost certain its not the wheel bearing b/c the stock rims with Blizzaks did not make the same noise.

quattro_silver
05-28-2009, 08:27 PM
I pulled the front tire off to rotate it, and I examined it and noticed the inner-side has been worn a ton, almost no tread is left. The outer-side (rim side) has a lot more tread.

Here is the thread I posted pictures.. any help is appreciated:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3788342#post3788342

thanks [wrench]

schmally
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
are they z rated tire??? lower profile tires make alot of noise.... more so if they are a cheap tire.... .

quattro_silver
05-29-2009, 05:22 AM
I didn't go with the more expensive Z-rated. The inner-side of the tires looks worn to shreds while the outer-side is fine. My camber is at -1.6. I think these wore down so bad on the inner-side because I didn't do an alignment for the longest time with running them. Someone on the S4 board mentioned to flip the tires around, so the inner-side becomes outer, etc. Can I do this? These are directionally mounted tires..