PDA

View Full Version : Q5 S-Line - In The Flesh

iamaudi.com
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4533/q5slinemeteor1.jpg (http://www.iamaudi.com)

I love the look of the S-Line wheels on the Q5 and I knew they looked great in all the pictures so I was excited
to see them in person. It happens to often that something looks nice in a picture and falls short when you finally
get to see the real thing, not in the case of the S-Line Q5. Audi did a great job with the design of the Q5 and if
you have not got a chance to see it in person I recommend doing so.

Q5 S-Line - In The Flesh (http://www.iamaudi.com/s-line-package-audi-q5-the-sportiest-crossover-ever)

jriddle11
05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Ya, I saw one last week at Byers Imports, WOW! Great looking!

ibiski
05-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I've seen it at a dealer and it really stands out. S-Line would be the only model I'd consider. Unfortunately some idiot over at Audi decided it would be a great idea to put summer-only performance tires on an SUV, so it's an extra $1k for all-seasons. Also, I didn't feel like getting an '09 model when the competition is already selling '10.

Regina_TT
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I've seen it at a dealer and it really stands out. S-Line would be the only model I'd consider. Unfortunately some idiot over at Audi decided it would be a great idea to put summer-only performance tires on an SUV, so it's an extra $1k for all-seasons. Also, I didn't feel like getting an '09 model when the competition is already selling '10.

Personally I run winter tires in the winter and I'll want to put them on a smaller wheel (17" or 18".) Having summer performance tires on the 20" S Line wheels is definitely the way to go.

If you like the 2009 S Line wheel design you better snap up a 2009 Q5 S Line before they are gone. It's reported that the wheel design has changed for 2010.

ibiski
05-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Personally I run winter tires in the winter and I'll want to put them on a smaller wheel (17" or 18".) Having summer performance tires on the 20" S Line wheels is definitely the way to go.

If you like the 2009 S Line wheel design you better snap up a 2009 Q5 S Line before they are gone. It's reported that the wheel design has changed for 2010.

Sure you can put winter tires on the car, but that's an additional $$$, especially if you also buy separate wheels. Bottom line is Q5 is not a performance car and it won't take an advantage of a performance Z rated summer tire like RS4 will.

Regina_TT
05-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Sure you can put winter tires on the car, but that's an additional $$$, especially if you also buy separate wheels. Bottom line is Q5 is not a performance car and it won't take an advantage of a performance Z rated summer tire like RS4 will.

The Q5 S Line doesn't actually come with Z rated tires. The Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport and Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tires are "only" W rated. [;)] The tires still have to be able to handle the electronically limited maximum speed of 130 mph, which the Q5 does quite competently. While this may not make the Q5 as performance oriented as the RS4, it is still a performance car. If you get the chance, drive one, particularly with Drive Select.

Taking into account the extra $$$ for winter tires is just a fact of life for me. The climate I live in and the amount of road travel I do in the winter makes it necessary. Therefore it is to my advantage for the vehicle I choose to come with summer specific tires. I would have lived with an all season tire, but given the choice with running winter tires, I'd take a summer tire for summer.

DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind I am quite enamored by my recent purchase and may seem a little biased! [;)]

ibiski
05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
No doubt summer/winter setups are much better than an all-season compromise, but the Q5, S-Line or not is not a performance vehicle, at least not with the NA 3.2. If they make a real S version with a more powerful motor in the future, maybe. I can see an ML 63AMG or BMW X5/6 M models needing a performance tire, but not the Q5.

ManMachine
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
It certainly makes sense to have the S-line come with summer tires. If it comes with all season tires, people at BMW will laugh their head off.

As we all know, all season tires are a compromise. Quattro or not, you need winter tires for icy stuff. Summer tires will improve the vehicle handling. If you can afford the car, I'm sure you can afford a Tirerack winter wheel/tire package.

I do think the 20" size is a bit overkill and it's more about looks and marketing. The wheels/tires will also be more easily damaged by potholes.

ibiski
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
If it comes with all season tires, people at BMW will laugh their head off.

Yup, that's a great reason[up] Let's put performance tires on the Q5 so BMW fanboys won't make fun of us. None of Q5's competitors, BMW X3, MB GLK or Lexus RX have Summer only performance tires and I'm sure people who buy these cars don't really give a crap.

As we all know, all season tires are a compromise. Quattro or not, you need winter tires for icy stuff.

No you don't unless you climb hills in Alaska. Tire technology has advanced significantly and the Q5 would probably tip over before you'd know the difference between a high performance A/S tire and a summer only one. A/S are a compromise, but not so much in this situation.[/QUOTE]

Summer tires will improve the vehicle handling. If you can afford the car, I'm sure you can afford a Tirerack winter wheel/tire package.

Sure I can afford it, but that's not the point here. The Q5 is NOT a performance car and it does not need high performance tires. FYI, Audi did the same thing on the Q7 when it came out and then realized they made a mistake so they switched to A/S tires on the S-Line version of the car.

I do think the 20" size is a bit overkill and it's more about looks and marketing. The wheels/tires will also be more easily damaged by potholes.

Sure it's about the looks. The wheel wells are quite large since it's an SUV, so big wheels compliment the design nicely. The tires on the 20" wheels have 45% sidewall ratio so they're more than adequate enough to withstand tough city streets.