PDA

View Full Version : GB on pistons?

goohead
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
so im in the market for some pistons, and i was shopping around and got some pricing avaliable from some very reputable makers

i can get you guys:

arias brand
82.5mm bore
TOOL grade floating wrist pins
nitride rings
4-5 week lead time

in the 1k range

or through ross, and wiseco prices may vary slightly

all very good manufacturers.

arias is my #1 pick for our applications since they have already made pistons for the 2.7 already, called up je and the sales man was a dick so no thanks, service is worth alot in my eyes

if there is enough interest i can help you guys out

if not i will be ordering my own by myself

Issam@INA
10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I would go with JE's (personally speaking).

If you need a set of pistons send me a PM.I can also organise a GB np if there is enough interest.

02alltoad
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
im interested but i was going to go 83.0mm at 9.0:1 cr

goohead
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
the prices i got was for all pistons same dimension and cr, since they can use the same blueprint. i was going for 81.5 or 82.5 bore depending on my cylinderwall conditions

je makes great pistons, so does arias, cp, wiseco, and ross

all are good companies and have been proven and trusted time and time again. arias is big in the domestic and import scene, they are race proven 9000+rpms, and will more hp/cylinder than any s4 can put down

isaam from 034 is a great guy to deal with, i only had 100% satisfaction w/ his services, you can give him a call or call up the pistons manufactures directly and have them recommend one of their bigger distributors, you will find pricing varies alot depending on who you go through. just an example i got 3 quotes from 3 distributors from wiseco and a range of price ~$200 difference.

lead time will be longer if the manufacture doesnt have blueprints for your application

the manufacture im going with has made them already but still has a longer lead time just due to the shear volume of business they do. do what you like

why 9.0? stock is 9.3 or 9.2 or something, cant remeber off the top of my head, i was measuring my shortblock and for going 3mm over .... i dont think i would go that far, but whatever floats your boat, i want more meat between my walls

heres a really crappy pic of the block, though i dont think it would help you at all, just take your own measurements and see how much meat is left 1.5mm added each side

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/2643000-2643999/2643379_459_full.jpg?513512-299

JaredVL
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
JE is crap, i have never once custom ordered pistons from them and had them show up with the correct CR

CP or Mahle or bust

02alltoad
10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
=
why 9.0? stock is 9.3 or 9.2 or something, cant remeber off the top of my head, i was measuring my shortblock and for going 3mm over .... i dont think i would go that far, but whatever floats your boat, i want more meat between my walls

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/2643000-2643999/2643379_459_full.jpg?513512-299

i was looking at 83.0mm for the displacement, stock is 81.0mm stock us comp is 9.3:1 and the rs4 9.1:1 the block i have the pistons made contact with the walls pretty good so it will need to be bored. a friend of mine said he had a costomer bore his out to 83.5mm with rs6ss turbos and its been fine for almost 2 years so i figured 83 would be ok and as for the comp ratio i want a bit more low end im not looking for a high boost race engine so i thing staying close to the stock raito would be best for me

02alltoad
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
i was just wondering if this is a dead subject, i think ive settled on 82.5mm bore and 9:1 cr pistons

Issam@INA
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
JE is crap, i have never once custom ordered pistons from them and had them show up with the correct CR

CP or Mahle or bust
You probably dealt with a shitty rep[:p]
Both Justin ,Dom,Panyotis and others run custom JE pistons all Built to there specs.

slowslvrs4
12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
arias pistons are top quality je and cp is garbage

Issam@INA
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
arias pistons are top quality je and cp is garbage
Speaking for personal experience of internet banter?

slowslvrs4
12-08-2008, 01:21 PM
personal experience on my race bike i have had all the above pistons in it.

Issam@INA
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
personal experience on my race bike i have had all the above pistons in it.
Did you take that up with JE?

slowslvrs4
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
yeah and the rep was a real hard head and said i probally built it wrong.

Issam@INA
12-08-2008, 01:37 PM
yeah and the rep was a real hard head and said i probally built it wrong.
Not trying to insult you but that is always usually the case.Tolerances are too tight and the piston gets "pinched" and fails.I have had nothing but success with JE pistons and the same can be said for all of my customers

slowslvrs4
12-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey I had no problems with the arias so I'll leave it at that. The je's would clank untill fully warmed up.

02alltoad
12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
i have HEARD that je's do knock in the 2.7 ive only heard that, how much are the arias?

AudiA4_20T
12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
i have HEARD that je's do knock in the 2.7 ive only heard that, how much are the arias?

thats all about clearance... my wisecos did in my B6 because my machine work was bad... I think on some of the piston sheets they recommend too much clearance.

02alltoad
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
thats all about clearance... my wisecos did in my B6 because my machine work was bad... I think on some of the piston sheets they recommend too much clearance.

good point, my machine shop mesures each piston and bores the hole to its size, i finally have the money for pistons so i would like to get as many opinons/experance as possible befor i buy a set [up]

goohead
12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
piston slap has alot to do with clearance, doesnt effect performance, our engines are undersquare, so rod angle is pretty low due to the rod length so it enters, exit the bore not at excessive angle. piston slap is much worse on some other engines i seen, you will notice it on almost any aftermarket piston period. there are offset wrist pins as well to give more rod angle on power stroke and not on comp and exh stroke.

some people run alot more boost or plan to add nitrious and want looser clearance, i mean you can go full race spec but will need to rebuild sooner, i just stick to the rule of thumb or mid ways or loose side of manufactures recommendations and be done with it. my stock internal clearance was really on the loose side, and there was still crosshatch marks so from the factory there plenty clearance.

or ask your engine builder if you dont any better

02alltoad - let me know i can get you a set @ your specs for $1050 including rings and wrist pins

the nitrided rings and tool grade thick wall wrist pins as well are best you can get. the rings especially since they have longer life than moly rings, if you dont know nitride rings are very popular in japanese cars from the factory thats why their engine can last longer without rebuilds vs americans, etc even when beaten on. google it up if you want more info

lead time is 4 weeks

once i place the order you can check with arias directly on status realtime yourself, or i can check for you through my guy

let me know

hit

poopypants
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
In for GB. I need 84.5 mm (8 total) thanx