PDA

View Full Version : An off-road capable Q7?

AlisoA4
10-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently had a Q7 as a loaner while my A4 was in for service. I liked the Q7 a lot, much to my own surprise, lol.

So, I am thinking. My next car must be roomier and quieter than the A4. It would be nice to have more room for passengers and for stuff. -This points to a Q7.

I miss being able to go off-road, so again it looks like a Q7... or does it? I was playing around on carsdirect.com and audiusa.com to build and price various Q7 configurations tonight.

Does anyone know what the "offroad" package contains?

I was thinking that it might make sense to get the tow package for its improved cooling of engine (and trans I hope?)

I might have missed it but is there an air suspension option on the Q7 or is that standard? If it exists (either as option or standard equipment) can it raise the car for better ground clearance when going off-road?

So, what do you all think?

Does anyone in these forums actually take their Q7's off-road ever? [:D]

[az][drive]

Edit: So I snooped around on Audi.de a bit, figuring that they would have the best & most options. Looks like (in Germany at least) the offroad package consists of some silghtly altered front and rear bumpers and improved protection of the car's underside. It also looks like they have various flavors of this package with more or less chrome and things.

It also looks like the air suspension is only available here in the US on the 4.2 V8. That's too bad......

mdkellys
10-27-2007, 07:20 AM
The air suspension is an option. I use the towing package all summer long with my boat and even with the six cylinder engine it is a nice tow package. The rear view camera makes hooking up the trailer a snap.

Brian@AudiMV
11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
The Adaptive Air Suspension is a Special Order option on the Q7s and it does infact raise the vehicle for better ground clearance. Very hard to find but it's pretty cool if you're going to use it.

The Off Road package is strictly an appearance package. There's a metal "skid plate" in the front and one in the rear, and the sideskits are slightly different.

The tow package is actually a really nice package for how little it costs. With that $550 package you get a bigger radiator, a transmission cooler and the tow hitch, which as mdkellys stated, it's a cinch when you're towing and you use the backup camera! We got to test that out at the Q7 launch training in April of '06 with jetskis, one of the coolest trainings i've been to!

I'd take some pictures of the offroad package but the owner of the dealership is driving the one Q7 that I have that's equipped with it... I'll try to snap some pics the next time he's around though.

OneFastBMW
11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
i test drove the V10 diesel this summer an it is a hoot. The air suspension raises the car up a abunch over stock and is a great car. With the locking diff and air suspension, It would be a beast off-road.