PDA

View Full Version : 4.8L V8 BMW X5 or 4.4L V8 Range Rover Sport HSE?

DELUX
09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Looking into getting another X5. Our 2002 is the 3.0i and this time around we want a V8. I test drove the new X5 already and I love it. It's bigger and better than ours so that's what we're leaning towards. I don't wanna rule out the Range Rover though just yet, but I'm kind of turning away from it because of all the Ford parts.

Anybody on here have experience with the RR and have an opinion on it? I should point out that the 4.8L V8 in the X5 trumps the 4.4 ford motor in the Range Rover in just about every way, so I'm almost ready to choose the X5, but I'm always open to opinions.

Also, is the Q7 worth looking at? I've seen it up close and I'm not really that impressed. Is there anything I'm missing in that equation?

boost junkie
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
The regular RR Sport feels pretty sluggish. The RR Sport Supercharged is much better. I test drove one and liked it a lot. Not sure about reliability though, Land Rover doesn't have the best track record.

DELUX
09-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Yea, their reliability scares me too. The SS model is stupidly expensive though and not worth the money in my opinion. I guess I'm gonna have to stick with BMW [:)] [up]

Monizzle
09-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Imagine the reliability of a VW Corrado, now make it worse by 10 times. That's a Range Rover. My friend just got his brand new HSE lemon lawed.
The new X5 is sex. The Q7 is an amazing SUV as well. I seriously think you should give the V8 a chance. S-line Q7 ftw.

LAZY TURBO
09-23-2007, 01:29 PM
we just bought my mom an SUV and after looking at the X5, Q7, Range Rover, etc. (everything in that class) we settled for the Cayenne. Roughly the same price as the rest, but is better in every aspect hands down. It doesnt feel as though you are driving a SUV but more of a big sedan. I love driving cause all the ho's look at you. [:D]

Chris from Cali
09-23-2007, 03:59 PM
If you want to expand your horizons a little and check out something different, go drive an FX45. I had one for a little while and I really liked it. I've driven X5s, RRSs, Cayenne S, etc. and the FX had them all beat in punch, driving feel, and dealer service. I haven't tried the new X5, but it does look very good...

Good luck!

DELUX
09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not really into Nissan that much though, or Japanese cars for that matter, unless it's a commuter car or something. I'm a big fan of BMW and their motors too, plus owning a few BMWs makes me lean towards that anyways. The FX is SOOOO dated too.

As for the Cayenne, I just hate the way it looks. I love Porsche, but if I buy one, it's gonna be a 911 Turbo in a few years, not a fucking SUV.

As for the Q7... I also think it's ugly. That front bumper is AWFUL. It reminds me of those lame ass GM SUVs theyre making these days with all the crazy valences and splitters on the bumpers up front.

Chris from Cali
09-24-2007, 02:21 PM
I guess there's a new FX coming, but it sounds like the X5 is the ticket. I agree 100% that you should skip the RR Sport HSE - it's really slow w/o the supercharger.

1.8Titorey
09-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Im on the same boat as you. We also have a X5 3.0 and plan to trade in for a V8. Stick with the BMW. We were also looking at the RR's but like everyone said it has reliability issues. The new X5 is really nice. Plus the 4 years of free maintenance isnt bad either.

Tiesto
09-26-2007, 01:15 AM
The regular RR Sport feels pretty sluggish. The RR Sport Supercharged is much better. I test drove one and liked it a lot. Not sure about reliability though, Land Rover doesn't have the best track record.

Actually they were rated the lowest company for reliability, wish I could rember where I heard that.

I loved the Rovers but it's not worth the potential headache, go with the X5 for sure. I don't think you'll regret it. [up]

giovanna360
09-26-2007, 03:59 AM
We have the post-face lift last gen X5 4.8is and love it. Much faster than new 4.8 and looks a hell of a lot better. Im sure you could get a deal on one now.

$teady$upreme
09-27-2007, 10:57 PM
The british for sure~

burner799
09-30-2007, 02:50 AM
sounds like you've already got your mind set on a bmw. I'd get a Q7 over the x5 anyday. That's just me though. there's more x5's here than honda civics.

Arjun
09-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Go with the X5. The RRS is not as impressive as the regular RR.

moses0324
09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not really into Nissan that much though, or Japanese cars for that matter, unless it's a commuter car or something. I'm a big fan of BMW and their motors too, plus owning a few BMWs makes me lean towards that anyways. The FX is SOOOO dated too.

As for the Cayenne, I just hate the way it looks. I love Porsche, but if I buy one, it's gonna be a 911 Turbo in a few years, not a fucking SUV.

As for the Q7... I also think it's ugly. That front bumper is AWFUL. It reminds me of those lame ass GM SUVs theyre making these days with all the crazy valences and splitters on the bumpers up front.

why did this kid even post a thread...its not like he is listening to anyones advice...he either defends or ignores someones comment...pointless...he already has his mind made up...im guessing he just wants to brag about what he is getting...idk IMO

Monizzle
09-30-2007, 11:26 AM
i believe this "kid" is older than you [:p]
sometimes one needs to get their idea out into the open (even if they've made up their mind before hand) to possibly get some counterpoints at which point he is given a chance to refute arguments he hadn't thought of.
My .02.

Trv06kviper
09-30-2007, 11:32 AM
If you plan on doing any, ANY off-roading at all, your only choice would be the Land Rover. The BMW is nice, but only on the street. After taking both off-roading the regular HSE Ranger Rover was the best, the Sport one is good, but those damn rims weren't made for off-roading, however, much better on the street.
The BMW is nice but the regular Range Rover HSE, I think will last you much longer. As for track records the X5 has a bad one as well, less than the RR because it's a mini van not really built for off-roading. Land Rover uses ford parts for basic stuff like bolts etc, the engine is still all Jaguar (Jag-U-R).
So my personal opinion after taking all three through their paces. I'd choose just the regular Range Rover HSE it has a good balance.

GQ//S4
09-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Hold off one more year and you can get the x5 w/ the m5 engine in it.... [:D] Sexy!

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/13930/spied-2009-bmw-x5-m.html

The new Lexus Lx570 is coming out this year, that should be nice, as always.

I usually hate Cayenne's, but this new GTS model looks nice, picture it in black!

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshows/13967/2009-porsche-cayenne-gts.html

The x5 would probably top my list though, even though I'm in love with the Range Rovers, the x5 is more practical, if you can call a Bmw practical.