PDA

View Full Version : D3 Install Help

ASaca
06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I just purchased the avic d3 i cannot find any good sources for install of the unit. i need help finding 3 wires. VSS (Vechile Speed Sensor), and Reverse Lights. i trying to find the best and cleanest way possible i would rather not remove the cluster if i do not have to.

my assumption is that there should be a VSS wire built in to one of the factory harnesses of the back of the radio that is used for the oem navigation, if so wat color is the wire?
is there a reverse light wire some were in the center console? next to the shifter? if so what color is that wire?

Please Help me out thank you!!

MY CAR

2005 Audi A4 1.8t
Bose Sound System pre wired for Xm
Has Sharkfin (assuming that is for either xm or navi or both)
Syphany II
Triptronic. [down]

AudiA4b6US
06-18-2007, 05:41 AM
In your car, those signals can only be taken from the cluster because all the factory installed devices use CAN to get those signals. The only other option to getting the signals from the cluster would be a CAN adapter that converts the CAN messages to discrete signals required for your new head unit.

duglas
06-18-2007, 06:52 AM
here are directions on how to bypass the parking brake feature on the D3 so you can use the D3 and watch movies while in motion..(not that I would reccommend this). My S4 is a B5 and the wiring was listed on the back of the radio like in the pictures on the link, I found the VSS wire behind the radio.. Not sure on the B6 though..

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec164.shtml

duglas
06-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Also, you do not need the VSS signal for the D3 to work.. I did not hook mine up at first.. The D3 gets the speed from the GPS.. I am not even sure why it needs it and would not go through the trouble of removing the cluster if that is the only place for you to get it

ASaca
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM
i have removed the cluster and tested the wrie that was suposed to be hte vss and it was not it. the reason it needs vss is it keeps the gps more acurate also for the on screen gauges. the reverse wire is used to the navigation knows ur going back and at waht speeds for acuracy.
i still can not find the vss wrie. the wire i tapped ont he cluster was a bown wire with red strip on the blue plug.

some one please help
thanks

ny02s4
06-18-2007, 07:06 PM
i have removed the cluster and tested the wrie that was suposed to be hte vss and it was not it. the reason it needs vss is it keeps the gps more acurate also for the on screen gauges. the reverse wire is used to the navigation knows ur going back and at waht speeds for acuracy.
i still can not find the vss wrie. the wire i tapped ont he cluster was a bown wire with red strip on the blue plug.

some one please help
thanks

according to Directechs.com the VSS wire for a 2003 A4 is white/blue OR brown/red found at the gauge cluster... blue plug. I would move your wire to the white/blue and see what happens.

hope this helps.

ASaca
06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
i could not find a white wire with blue strip... only solid white.

AudiA4b6US
06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Beginning with model year 2003, the speed signal is taken from the ABS control module. Up to my 2002 it was a whote/blue wire from pin 21 in the green connector at the instrument cluster. My 2003 and newer gets speed via pin 17 in the 17-Pin Connector, green, connector station, A-pillar, left, which is going to pin 33 on the ABS control module J104.

ASaca
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
well i just found the reverse light wire in a harness that on the drivers side thats all wrapped up looks like it goes to the ecu area. time for the vss. AudiA4B6Us thanks for the heads up!

ASaca
06-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Beginning with model year 2003, the speed signal is taken from the ABS control module. Up to my 2002 it was a whote/blue wire from pin 21 in the green connector at the instrument cluster. My 2003 and newer gets speed via pin 17 in the 17-Pin Connector, green, connector station, A-pillar, left, which is going to pin 33 on the ABS control module J104.

THANKS! I found it and got it working properly. Thanks for the help![hail]