PDA

View Full Version : How precise is the RNS-E?

jza80
03-19-2007, 05:19 PM
My car seems to be off by at least 50 feet, maybe as much as 100. For example, I can stop at an intersection and the pointer is way back on the screen, and as I turn on the street the pointer is still back on the previous street for a bit until it snaps into place.

Is this typical?

Thanks!

German Driver
03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Are you running correct rotating diameter for your wheels? Maybe you should check out engineering mode and see if it needs calibrating.

PROXUS
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
It is common in places with poor signal reception. You could also check placement of your GPS antenna, or any interferrances. Place it on the dash for testing and compare.

VroomVroom
03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Since reading your post I've been paying attention - including entering a destination in downtown San Francisco. There was some lag, even at slow speeds, but overall it seemed to be quite accurate.

[side note]Every system has its quirks, but I LOVE this one compared to the Delphi unit in my SUV.[/side note]

A62TURBO
04-25-2007, 08:31 PM
RNS-E is very accurate, even without installing reverse wire. It always corrects itself after a few hundred feet anyway.

PetrolDave
04-26-2007, 10:16 AM
No commercial GPS system is going to be more accurate than a few tens of feet - remember you're moving and it takes a fraction of a second to work out where you WERE. So ALL sat nav systems will be a few feet, or tens of feet if you're moving fast, behind your true position.

The systems you hear about with accuracy of fractions of an inch cost tens of thousands of dollars...

passatkid
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Mine is really accurate most of the time.

step02
05-05-2007, 09:54 PM
How many satellites are you receiving?

And have you entered the correct circumference for your wheel and tire setup?

If you are getting good satellite reception, it could be that you have not correctly set up the GALA connection.